Sunday, November 4, 2012

Holiday Blog Day 3: Wrap it Pretty with Furoshiki

To be honest, I'm not a very good gift wrapper. I have good intentions when the holidays come around, but what I always end up doing is wrapping my gifts much too late and because of that, they don't come out very pretty. (think 2am, "Ah! I ran out of scotch tape! Oh well, I'll just use the duct tape then...." type of scenario)

So, this year I vow to be different! And if you are anything like me, or are just interested in learning some new ways to wrap it up nicely, vow along with me to make this year: THE PRETTIEST LOOKING GIFTS EVER YEAR! Or just not use duct tape year! :)

Today we are studying the Furoshiki:
image courtesy of The Link Collective


Since I have such a passion for Japanese fabric it's only natural that I'm also interested in Furoshiki, which is the Japanese art of wrapping gifts in fabric! This is both a waste reducing and very beautiful way of presenting your gifts.

Photos courtesy of The Gifted Blog

Fun Fact: Furoshiki is derived from the Japanese words for furo (bath) and shiki (spread). Traditionally people would carry their extra clothing to the public baths using a furoshiki.

The really great thing about Furoshiki is how simple it can be: You need only some fabric. Try using a square scarf or a tea towel to make your gift go that extra mile. Fabric stores sell pre-cut quilting squares that fit the bill for most smaller boxes which is especially time saving if you have many gifts to wrap.
Here is a very easy tutorial video on how to wrap a basic one and two knot furoshiki:



 Here is one of my own examples of how to wrap a jewelry box in Furoshiki. I wrapped up my newest Geo Gem Necklace and topped the package off with one of my Red Blossom Ornaments. I think it looks darling!
This is not a furoshiki, but it does use a square of fabric! I wrapped up a small earring box and tied it in candy colored cherry blossom fabric and pinched off the ends with ribbon. Doesn't the Sparkling Daisy Ornament go well with this package?
 

There is a lot out there on furoshiki so if you are interested in learning some more intricate wrapping  I'd seriously think about checking out these amazing books and resources:

This Book is in English and shows you how to do 18 different wraps with 5 different objects.
 buy on Amazon

This book is in Japanese, however it has many photographs so you shouldn't have much problem figuring out what the steps are for each wrap.
Buy from Pomadour24 

There is a great and authentic Furoshiki etsy Shop from Tokyo called JAPANFuroshiki which sells a great assortment of fabrics and hand towels.

 
Here is a handy little diagram of some other types of furoshiki wraps you can try in the meantime:



Happy Wrapping!
xoxoxoxo -Amy



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I checked out a book on Furoshiki from the library--very cool! Thanks for introducing me to this beautiful, environmentally friendly way to wrap gifts and carry items. :)