Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Idea to Reality : Over the Bridge Bracelet





Today I am talking about my design process for the Over the Bridge bracelet. I had originally wanted to create a solid cuff style bracelet that reflected the architecture of old bridges used in Japanese gardens. However, I ran into a number of problems while trying to make a solid cuff that would be easily replicated and fit a number of wrist sizes. So I began researching rope bridges and their construction and also looking at plank style walkways. I sort of fell in love with the rustic look of the wood planks and started designing a bracelet around that idea. This bracelet uses hinge style jump rings to connect each tile much in the same way some of the plank bridges were constructed. I used a neutral color palette of fabric images for the tiles to keep a rustic feel to the piece. It's a wonderfully designed bracelet that wraps gently around the wrist and feels nice and secure at the same time. I guess that's a similar feeling you'd want when walking over a real bridge too :)

This piece is available in my Etsy Shop.

xoxoxo -Amy

No comments: