Sunday, February 16, 2014

Inspiration Sunday

I've been spending a lot of time researching and exploring Japanese traditional textiles related to Shibori hand dying. I of course love Japanese patterns and fabrics but I've really been concentrating on the patterns displayed in this particular type of fabric. Since Shibori patterns are made by a resist dye process done by hand-tying, knotting, and stitching, no two patterns are alike. I've been highly inspired by the freedom and chance of this kind of pattern and I'm planning on incorporating my own Shibori patterns I make this year into my designs. Which brings me to my main point: Tie dye party?? I think yes!

  HGTV has an awesome intro to indigo dye if anyone is interested!


Arashi Shibori technique uses a pole or stick to wrap fabric around and dip into the dye vat. You can create all sorts of patterns depending on how you wrap the fabric with twine or string. (image courtesy of Honestly WTF)

ori-nui Shibori pattern

 tying fabric for the resist. (image from eye-swoon.com)



No comments: