Monday, June 9, 2014

New work, some thoughts



 
Lately I've been creating things just for the pure joy of creating. I know it sounds silly like, shouldn't you always create what you love? And I do, it's just as Artists I think we sometimes get tied to these cycles of making the same thing over and over again because it's our "best seller" or it's what you think people want. So it's been nice to step away a little and just spend some quality time in the studio. It's been nice creating without thinking much about pricing or how it will look on the display table at a show.

Not to get deep or anything but,

My greatest joy comes from bringing to life designs that have been inspired in the moment. Ones that I have jotted down after being moved by a line in a book, or sketched out after seeing something in nature or an outfit on the street. They are not usually quiet, small, everyday, goes-with-everything designs. I feel like it's important to sometimes take a break and remember why you started making in the first place.

These designs created with freedom, I think,  are the ultimate reflection of who I am as an Artist and it brings a great sense of peace when I bring to life these things that have harbored in my head and on paper. I hope to take more of these little breaks in production work this year and just sit and make what I truly love. I hope you like them, and if not, that's alright too :)


No comments: