Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blood Diamonds Project Ideas








After watching the Blood Diamonds documentary, I confirmed my feeling that no matter how many images I see of the Civil War in Africa I will never be able to put myself in their situation completely. It is just too horrific of an experience that I who lives an extravagantly comfortable and secure life in comparison will never ever be able to even imagine what they have gone through. This is why for my project I think I am going to explore the idea that stemmed from the diamond market being flooded with surplus diamonds during and after the African Civil War that was fueled by the mining of conflict diamonds. I want to capture the idea that contrary to everyday belief, diamonds are not as rare a find as they are made to look like. I want to depict the diamond not as an expensive rarity of eternal love but as a banal expendable commodity that no one should shed blood over. I want to show that the diamond is just a rock. my sources are coming from old toys, Andy Warhol and images of jail shackles.

No comments: