Sunday, February 17, 2008

Creative Process



























So I was thinking about my own creative process and how I go about creating work and I found a really great parallel between my methods and the scientific Chaos Theory. In science Chaos theory is about finding the underlying order in apparently random data. I thought about this and how closely related it is to how I work, from nothing comes something. I took the example of assigned projects and I came up with a loose progression from start to finished product:

1) research everything even remotely connected to the topic
2) gather all types of media from all different sources that relate to the topic somehow
3) begin sketches using research and media
4) par down ideas based on difficulty, materials, and time
5) choose the strongest ideas and make maquettes
6) get feedback from others
7) begin working

although it seems orderly on paper, it really isn't in real life, there are lots frustrating mental blocks along the way and aimless tangents that most often turn out to be dead ends and many other problems and hours of just thinking. It always amazes me when I actually finish a project. I'm always wondering how I ever got to the end!

No comments: