Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sustainable Living LONG POST!

So this is going to be a lengthy post just as a heads up :)  I think the gorgeous weather has gotten me in a really good mood, and when I'm happy, I work hard! It just so happens that EVERYTHING I made/ did this week was eco forward so I'm here to post all about it! 

1) The first thing I didn't  really do but it has been a dream of mine for about 5 years to have my own vegetable garden.  So Kirk kindly built me one in our backyard and I couldn't be more excited! I don't believe this will nix my grocery shopping for good, but it should provide a healthy amount of local organic ingredients to the dinner table this summer. 
Kirk's Awesomeness in vegetable garden form

(No, this is not what it looks like...)


2) Linen Napkins! I finally got around to making them. Now  we not only have napkins (which were a scarce commodity in our kitchen) but they are reusable. Hooray for reducing and reusing! Plus I got to use my hello Kitty sewing machine Let's all rejoice!

My Hello Kitty is no joke! It's one tough flowery aqua blue machine! 8 layers of fabric were no problem at all.


3) This next one might sound a bit strange : Grass Paper. YES It's so cool and so green ( no pun intended)  I've always loved paper making if you didn't know. I used to make circles of paper using two coffee cans and a screen when I was little. I've gone and graduated from the cans and have since built myself a nice deckle and mold. So this was a small sidetrack from my original recycling project which was Trader Joe's bags into grocers cardstock. I just couldn't resist trying this though! 

I won't lie, the pulp smells pretty strong at first but the results are amazing! For my first try at it I was super impressed!  It dries really fast in the sun and I was able to cut and bend my first pieces. The best part is how clean and 100% biodegradable it is!  I will be using this in my packaging somehow.

A large vat of grass stain just waiting to happen!

So pretty and so environmentally friendly!


3) Last but not least, as you might have guessed, I am attempting to create a greener business from an artistic stand point. A lot of changes have happened for my business and are still happening but I have officially found a new direction for my work and I'm super excited to be sharing this news with you all! For now, that is all I will say! 

 Also as a last reminder, on April 9  we are officially changing our Blog  address from http://appusdesign.blogspot.com 
to    http://sunahjewelry.blogspot.com 





No comments: